In the "Morning Line" sculpture we used the little Meyer powered MM-4XP
speakers which are excellent (and also waterproof - good if you are
thinking of working outside). They use a single Belden 1502 cable which has
two power cores and a twisted pair - works great but is somewhat tricky to
terminate in the 5 pin EN3 connectors that Meyer use.

   Dave

On 13 May 2016 at 20:02, Eric Benjamin <eb...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> This is all good stuff. I'd like to add some info about the system aspects.
>
> Speaker mounting. This can be nontrivial. I know of one professional
> periphonic installation where the cost of the stands was more than the
> speakers. And mounting speakers at height can be very difficult. If the
> speakers are heavy then it can be difficult and dangerous. I'm right in the
> middle of mounting several 50 lb speakers on the ceiling of my listening
> room. I couldn't find a suitable manufactured mount so I'm fabricating my
> own. My felling is plywood just to be able to support the speakers.
>
> Passive vs powered
> When I built my first system there were very few inexpensive multichannel
> power amplifiers, so powers speakers seamed like the way to go. But powered
> speakers require that you run two cables instead of just one to each
> speaker. I'm still doing that. Now there are (relatively) inexpensive
> amplifiers like the Dayton 1240 that give lots of channels. And Marc's
> suggestion of very inexpensive amplifier modules is tempting. Too bad no
> one makes something like 8 x 15 watts in a 1u package.
>
> Coaxial speakers vs conventional 2-way
> I'm including full-range in with coax. Enthusiasts of coax tout the fact
> that coax speakers are effectively point sources. My belief is that the
> primary advantage is in the off-axis responses. Two way speakers are
> designed to have flat on-axis response, but off axis there are nulls in the
> response which appear above and below the principle axis. But there are
> relatively few coaxial speakers from which to choose.
>
> That's it for now.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

> >> I would bet that the spherical speakers and the requisite amplifier
> >> take up not more space than most powered speakers.
> >> If you're going cost conscious you can use the small digital amps
> >> from the likes of SMSL & Parts Express. I have one that delivers
> >> 50w/c in 1/4 of 1 RU. That is, you can fit 4 into a 1 RU space.
> >
> > I use a few identical amp modules, with 2 or more channels per amp:
> >
> http://store3.sure-electronics.com/audio/audio-amplifier-board?dir=asc&order=price
> > In a small room, with small speakers, 15 watts per channel is enough.
> > The same store have a selection of power supplies. My solution is to
> > use the power supply of a dedicated PC, where I installed all the amp
> > modules in the drive bays. The 450W power supply is completely silent,
> > as well as the rest of the PC (no fans at all, only passive cooling).
> > --
> > Marc

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'