One word of warning for those using small, active speakers - if these have
overload protection (especially if just on the woofers) this can cause
really annoying transient image distortion if this kicks in on just one or
two speakers without you realising it. Took us several weeks to realise
this was happening on a 16 speaker rig using Genelec 8010's - see the
thread on this back in October, 2015.

    Dave

On 14 May 2016 at 08:55, søren Bendixen <soerenbendi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A few years back I searched for new monitors - found PSI audio - and now
> I´m an ambassador of the brand. But no salesspeech - I bought the A17 - m
> for studio use but they also have the A14 - m for smaller needs.
> The A17 - m is the best, most neutral monitor I ever had (used to ADAM -
> all kinds from A5 to s3A, and genelec (the smaller ones), Tannoy (in
> exhibition - the new ones...), JBl (the old ones..), B&W, Yamaha,
> Digidesign RM2
>
> It is expensive, at least in Denmark (my country), but just excellent. Not
> waterproof though..
> http://www.psiaudio.com/en/
>
> regards
> Søren Bendixen

> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > due to the lack of space in modern houses, I am in need to look for small
> > speakers to get on with my multichannel projects, here at home and
> ideally
> > to bring them with me in small spaces to playback my works.
> > For my stereo projects I have been using Bose ComputerMonitor:
> >

> https://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/speakers/stereo/computer-musicmonitor/
> >
> > and I have been able to deliver final mixes matching bigger systems, or
> > needing small adjustments. Ideally I would like to expand that system
> but I
> > find annoying they use specific connectors and they work in couple, so
> > connecting it from my RME ADI8 it would be a bit of a trick to do also
> > because I will need an odd number of those (5 or 7 ?)
> > I've been scouting on the internet and I've seen few options.
> > I am intrigued by the JBL LSR305
> >

> http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr305#.VzTQ5mbtZE4
> >
> > being that brand the standard for cinema sound and that industry being my
> > main income, I quite like to get that way, but despite being quite small
> > they are still a bit big and heavy, unfortunately.
> > I found the Fostex PM03.d and PM 04.d
> >

> http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/PM0.4d.shtml#content-3-tab-tab
> >
> > Which are smaller and lighter, but the specifics are not that great, the
> > 04.d are better though.
> > Adam F5:
> >
> > http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/f5/technical-data
> >
> > They look like the best of the range. Obviously to deliver those
> > characteristics they have to be heavy, a bit too much and not that small.
> > A friend of mine has a stereo system of MAudio AV42:
> >
> > http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/av42#.VzSSzWbtZE4
> >
> > Which doesn't sound bad at all even if they are working in couple they
> > have more standard connections, so I could do my own extensions.
> > In that case I've been looking at the bigger brothers MAudio BX5 D2,
> > slighlty bigger and heavier:
> >
> > http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/bx5-d2#.VzSUrWbtZE4
> >
> > I am wondering if anyone has an hint to suggest or other brands/model to
> > consider or was surpises by the sound of smaller systems, Bose docet,
> > like... ehm logitech? ;-)
> [...]

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'