Definately mentioned and looked at in
Wiggins, B. Paterson-Stephens, I., Schillebeeckx, P. (2001) The analysis of
multi-channel sound reproduction algorithms using HRTF data. 19th
International AES Surround Sound Convention, Germany, p. 111-123.

Wiggins, B. (2004) An Investigation into the Real-time Manipulation and
Control of Three-dimensional Sound Fields. PhD thesis, University of Derby,
Derby, UK. p. 103

See http://www.brucewiggins.co.uk/ for my look at the you tube
implementation which also assumes symmetry......

Cheers

Bruce