Hi,

>> What is the simplest or best way to upscale FOA to TOA.
>
> Harpex-based upsamplers yield good results.
>
> Horizontal-only, you can use the Harpex-B plug-in. Full sphere, the Blue
> Ripple Sound Harpex Upsampler.
>
> http://harpex.net
>
> http://www.blueripplesound.com/products/toa-harpex-upsampler-vst

I use the Blue Ripple Harpex upsampler extensively in my installations, in fact
it was me that asked Richard Furse if he could license the Harpex library and
create this plugin. The benefit is that when I do installations with 16 or more
speakers, distributed as two rings near the floor and high up at the wall, and
use the Rspture 3D Advanced decoder, I tend to get much more stable sound field
reproduction with more precise definition and localisation of sources within
B-format field recordings in the space than a FOA would give on its own.

I got to try this briefly at BEAST FEAST in April in the venue used for
presentations with 24 speakers as I demoed the ATK for Reaper plugins. That was
probably the best setup that I have been able to get my hands on to date.

Cheers,
Trond