>> I use the Blue Ripple Harpex upsampler extensively in my installations, in
>> fact it was me that asked Richard Furse if he could license the Harpex
>> library and create this plugin. The benefit is that when I do installations
>> with 16 or more speakers, distributed as two rings near the floor and high
>> up at the wall, and use the Rspture 3D Advanced decoder, I tend to get much
>> more stable sound field reproduction with more precise definition and
>> localisation of sources within B-format field recordings in the space than a
>> FOA would give on its own.
>>
>> I got to try this briefly at BEAST FEAST in April in the venue used for
>> presentations with 24 speakers as I demoed the ATK for Reaper plugins. That
>> was probably the best setup that I have been able to get my hands on to date.
>
> that’s interesting to hear, Trond, I was also wondering about how upsampling
> would affect the reproduction of field recordings.
>
> What microphone are you using for your recordings?

I’m using a SoundField SPS200. You’ll find documentation of two of the
installations I’ve done in collaboration with Jeremy Welsh here:

http://trondlossius.no/works/56-the-atmospherics-ii---flags-flames-smoke-bridges
http://trondlossius.no/works/57-the-atmospherics-iii---till-it-rains-im-gonna-stay-inside

For both of these I used 16 speakers, 8 near the floor and 8 near the
ceiling.It’s not enough vertical coverage to give full 3D (there are holes
below and above), but I’m thinking of this approach more as a vertical
“widening” of the horizon as compared to 2D layouts.

We’ve just opened a new installation at the art museum in Førde, Sogn &
Fjordane. I don’t have any audio/video documentation online, but Jeremy has
posted a number of photos from all of the “Atmospherics” installations that
we’ve done together, including this one:

http://jewelsh.blogspot.no/p/the-atmospherics.html

The latest work was installed in a large white cube at the museum, and the
vertical dimension of the sound really comes into its own here. At the same
time the rectangular shape of the space, and the amount of reverb and a number
of acoustic oddities posed major challenges, and I ended up having to build a
number of 4 channel filter and eq JSFX effects for Reaper that I used
extensively to adjust for this. Still, the reverberation in this space makes
localisation in the mid and low frequency range much more blurry than in the

Cheers,
Trond