> On 01 Jul 2016, at 18:50, Justin Bennett <j...@bmbcon.demon.nl> wrote:
>

> that’s interesting to hear, Trond, I was also wondering about how upsampling
> would affect the reproduction of field recordings.
>
> best, Justin

Hi Justin,

To my experience, parametric methods such as Harpex or DirAC deal greatly with
field recordings, since there is always enough ‘activity’ and natural
variability in the sound scene that is analyzed and reproduced reasonably by
the method’s underlying model. This is in contrast for example to synthetic
material, in which you can generate unnatural cases that can “confuse” the
model, e.g. six anechoic saw-tooth waves coming from various angles
simultaneously with the same fundamental frequency.

Also to my experience, and that doesn’t seem to be a very popular view yet in
ambisonic community, these parametric methods do not only upsample or sharpen
the image compared to direct first-order decoding, but they actually reproduce
the natural recording in a way that is closer perceptually to how the original
sounded, both spatially and in timbre. Or at least that’s what our listening
tests have shown in a number of cases and recordings. And the directional
sharpening is one effect, but also the higher spatial decorrelation that they
achieve (or lower inter-aural coherence) in reverberant recordings is equally
important.

By the way, I have always considered the term upsampling a bit inaccurate for
this parametric FOA-to-HOA mapping., and has no relation to upsampling from a
signal processing POV. Upmixing would be more appropriate, since this is what
the methods are essentially doing internally, not dissimilar to the older
parametric upmixing methods from, e.g., stereo to surround.

Regards,
Archontis