I don't think I would entirely agree that loudspeaker orchestras were all
"originally intended for diffusing stereo works". Mostly, yes indeed they
were, but particularly in the earlier days (1950's or before) the sources
were mostly mono (Pierre Schaeffer) or crudely linked (like the multiple
optical recorders used for Disney's Fantasia) multichannel. I think there
is something in the "stereo" thing but it's simpler than appearance of
loudspeaker orchestra diffusion or potentiometre d'espace based
systems (Jacques
Poullin) or whatever, it's just that by the 1960's stereo amplifiers were
widely available and many of us  used bunches of them rather than double
the number of mono units (one Quad 303 in place of two Quad II valve amps,
in my case at York). This leads almost automatically to going left-right,
left-right, left-right, left-right from front to back.

    Dave

On 18 November 2016 at 16:24, Phi Shu <phi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> and that's probably why there is no "standard," all the well known large
> arrays use proprietary systems.
>
> In contrast, so called loudspeaker orchestras - originally intended for
> diffusing stereo works - tend to apply the rationale of having multiple
> stereo pairs - mapped directly to individual faders - and I would guess
> it's for this reason that the numbering is as such in the second numbered
> sequence you posted; because an acousmatic composer who composes an
> octophonc work for that set-up can more easily present it, or even diffuse
> it, in a setting that uses multiple speaker pairs.
>
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 3:54 AM, Augustine Leudar <
> augustineleu...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > Not really Gerard - there's plenty of techniques on spatial audio that
> dont
> > use decoders and have nothing to do with ambisonics.
> >
> > On 18 November 2016 at 00:46, Gerard Lardner <glard...@iol.ie> wrote:
> >
> > > Surely it must depend on the convention used in your decoder software.
> > For
> > > example, Harpex-B uses
> > >
> > >         1  8
> > >       2      7
> > >       3      6
> > >         4  5
> > >
> > > for an 8-speaker horizontal ring, or
> > >
> > >         1  6
> > >       2      5
> > >         3  4
> > >
> > > for a 6-speaker ring, but VVMic uses
> > >
> > >         1  2
> > >       3      4
> > >         5  6
> > >
> > > Gerard Lardner

> as

> here,
> > > edit account or options, view archives and so on.
> > >

> > --
> > Augustine Leudar
> > Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
> > Company Number : NI635217
> > Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
> > Belfast BT88LL
> > edit account or options, view archives and so on.

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'