> "No-one would deny that many of the greatest artists of our time made huge
> progress and developments in the arts - but often would write nothing at
> all about their work."

how many of the "greatest artists of our time" bothered doing a PhD?
Artists electing to do a PhD is a relatively recent phenomenon, there was a
time when an MFA was as far as most went, and before that a degree
sufficed.

a PhD is simply your license to do research in an academic institution,
nothing more, so if you don't actually do any novel research acquiring it,
you shouldn't be awarded the title, sorry, that's just the way I see it.

"It never ceases to amaze me how many PhD candidates have NO idea what they
> want to research before they register for the degree."

I would agree these people should not be doing a PhD, they should instead
be given a coloring book ; )