"Artists electing to do a PhD is a relatively recent phenomenon, there was
a time when an MFA was as far as most went, and before that a degree
sufficed."

Which kind of makes my point . Although PhD is the arts may be relatively
new - research and innovation, new discoveries in the arts are not . If
academia adopts a new field  and wished to make grounbreaking new work in
that field - to discover new knowledge - it cannot ignore the methods by
which new work in that field has been created for thousands of years. In
the case of art new ground has not traditionally been broken by asking
verbal research questions - they are their own language - you can no more
translate true innovation in the arts into the spoken word than you could a
pure mathematics PhD.

"PhD is simply your license to do research in an academic institution"

This is what a PhD may mean to you - but it is not the objective definition
of a PhD and many people will hold a different view

"It never ceases to amaze me how many PhD candidates have NO idea what
they want
to research before they register for the degree.  I would agree these
people should not be doing a PhD, they should instead be given a coloring
book ; )"

 I have a close family member who is a Professor of physics - she tells me
it is quite common for students to signifiy they wish to do a PhD without
knowing the exact area they will be studying - it is the dpartment that
tells them what their PhD thesis will be on - and often they end up doing
something quite different . I will inform her to issue all future
applicants with coloring books.

On 18 August 2017 at 15:48, Phi Shu <phi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > "No-one would deny that many of the greatest artists of our time made
> huge
> > progress and developments in the arts - but often would write nothing at
> > all about their work."
>

> how many of the "greatest artists of our time" bothered doing a PhD?
> Artists electing to do a PhD is a relatively recent phenomenon, there was a
> time when an MFA was as far as most went, and before that a degree
> sufficed.
>
> a PhD is simply your license to do research in an academic institution,
> nothing more, so if you don't actually do any novel research acquiring it,
> you shouldn't be awarded the title, sorry, that's just the way I see it.
>
> "It never ceases to amaze me how many PhD candidates have NO idea what they
> > want to research before they register for the degree."
>

> I would agree these people should not be doing a PhD, they should instead
> be given a coloring book ; )

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217