> "Artists electing to do a PhD is a relatively recent phenomenon, there was
> a time when an MFA was as far as most went, and before that a degree
> sufficed."
>
> Which kind of makes my point .

arguably, rather than being driven by the academicisation of creative
practice, this reflects changes in cultural labor markets and the emergence
of a growth industry we know as the "qualifications market." The wholesale
corporatisation of third level education has played a role.

"PhD is simply your license to do research in an academic institution"

> This is what a PhD may mean to you - but it is not the objective definition
> of a PhD and many people will hold a different view

yes, totally subjective, although it's what I believe it has become rather
than what I believe it should be. I guess the cynicism here stems from
witnessing a place become part of the Russell Group, everything was very
quickly reduced to a box ticking exercise; and that's what my PhD felt by
the end.

I will inform her to issue all future
> applicants with coloring books.

they can start with this one