I'm very much an amateur here, so please forgive what might be a stupid question!

I recorded a concert on Saturday (John Rutter's /Gloria /and Karl Jenkins' /The Peacemakers/) using an Ambisonic mic and some others. I'm encoding the A-format to B-format using VVEncode in Reaper, and panning in the extra mics using Wigware Ambipan. The result is then decoded to surround sound or to stereo using VVDecode; all in the same Reaper set-up. I've used this approach before, usually successfully.

I find that, when the organ and brass are playing at full volume (I mean in the orchestra, not just in playback), there is a 'buzzing' sound in the playback. It sounds harsh, pitched at about 50 Hz. But if I listen to the A-format files alone in Reaper or in VLC Media Player, there is no buzz. Similarly, there is no buzz if I encode the A-format using the stand-alone version of VVMic. The buzz is present both in the B-format from the Ambisonic mic and, less strongly, in the panned B-format from the soloists mic. It appears to be an artefact of my editing configuration; but it didn't happen in a recording I made, using the same configuration, last month. The only difference since then has been that my old hard disc, which had developed some faults, was cloned onto a new SSD.

Does this description suggest a specific problem/remedy to anyone? I know I can produce a decent CD using the stand-alone VVMic route and panning in the soloists into the stereo mix; but I'd like to get to the bottom of why my Ambisonic configuration is doing this now.