I've put my answers below David's questions. Apols for the delay in replying; I was travelling for business the last couple of days and only got home in the early hours of this morning.

Gerard Lardner

On 08/05/2018 12:00, David Pickett wrote:
>> On 7 May 2018, at 17:30, Gerard Lardner <glard...@iol.ie> wrote:

>> I recorded a concert on Saturday (John Rutter's /Gloria/ and Karl
>Jenkins' /The Peacemakers/) using an Ambisonic mic and some others.
>I'm encoding the A-format to B-format using VVEncode in Reaper, and
>panning in the extra mics using Wigware Ambipan. The result is then
>decoded to surround sound or to stereo using VVDecode; all in the same
>Reaper set-up. I've used this approach before, usually successfully.
>>
>> I find that, when the organ and brass are playing at full volume (I
>mean in the orchestra, not just in playback), there is a 'buzzing'
>sound in the playback. It sounds harsh, pitched at about 50 Hz.

Some more information would be useful.

-- Which ambisonic mic were you using?
Brahma, going to a Tascam DR-680 recorder

Other mics were a pair of Line Audio CM3 sub-cardoid pencil mics to boost the outer sides of the choir (if necessary) and a Recording Tools MRP-01 ribbon mic for the soloists

-- Does the buzz really only appear when the organ and brass are playing?

Actually really only when the organ is playing; the brass is usually with the organ, but not always. The buzz is present when the organ is playing loudly.

-- Is the buzz heard both in loud AND soft passages?

No, only when the organ is quite loud

David