On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 02:44:28PM +0100, Augustine Leudar wrote:

> /beginrant : According to the article below soundbars work not as any kind
> of knockoff WFS but by "bouncing" sound off the walls tro get it to appear
> to be behind you. How can it be that this actually sells and is endorrsed
> by industry "proffesionals" and "experts" ?  when anyone can quite clearly
> hear the sound does not appear to be behind them
>
> http://www.build.com.au/how-soundbar-works
>
>  I have never experienced on that makes the sound appear to be ~"behind" me
> as the above claims they can do. They can sound nice though but compared to
> actually having two speaker sbehind you as in a quad setup - no. /rantover

Interesting subject, as I'm currently involved in developing exactly
such a product.

The article you refer is obviously BS,pure,liquid, as are all such
claims. There is no way that bouncing beams on the walls (or ceiling)
can produce anything comparable to having speakers in the right place.

But that doesn't mean that it's impossible to do something that would
satisfy the average user watching B-movies with lots of silly sound
effects (usually to render scenes of gratuitous violence) on his
wide-screen TV.

But yes, this is just marketing.

Ciao,

--