> On May 27, 2019, at 12:09 PM, mgraves mstvp.com <mgra...@mstvp.com> wrote:
>
> See also Dolby Atmos. Yet another triumph of marketing over reality. Dolby is
> especially good in that arena.
>
> Michael Graves

Michael,

Are you referring to the Dolby Atmos sound bars and ceiling bouncing speakers?
If so I agree. But as a film sound designer, I don’t believe I am succumbing to
marketing hype when I say that Dolby Atmos in a cinema setting, with its full
range surrounds and speakers in what were gaps near the screen, is a real
improvement over other earlier surround formats for cinema. Clearly Dolby is
trying to generate profits from the mass home market rather than only from the
small cinema world. It’s probable that any sound bar, whether “Atmos” or not,
will be an upgrade for whomever buys it, so happy customers, even if the hype
is not lived up to. Maybe it’s the placebo effect that makes these things work?

Doug Murray