Thanks Chris -
by multichannel I mean , basically, surround sound. So stereo is two
channels -
but it woiuld be nice to, for example, broadcast 8 or 16 seperate signals
to 8 or 16  seperate speakers each 100 metres apart
.I have used the senheizer in ear montitors to do things like this but you
can only go fifty metres.
I often have to run several km of cables at events to speakers and I would
love not to have to - of course they still need power
but we;ve previously got round this with several low power low noise
portable IP6 rated generators.
I was wondering why Senheizers had a short distance range but good sound
whereas my walkie talkies
could go very far but had crap audio - youve answered the question tx.

On Thu, 30 May 2019 at 17:07, Chris Woolf <ch...@chriswoolf.co.uk> wrote:

> Answering this specific question...
>
> On 30/05/2019 10:42, Augustine Leudar wrote:
> > ... I had some walkie talkies that had a
> > range of one KM with admitedly terrible audio (surely this could be
> > improved) . Whereas Senheiser in ear monitors have a  really short
> distance
> > range of around 40 metres and use much higher electromagnetic frequencies
> > ((863 mhz) . Why is it something cant be done with the same sort of range
> > as the walkie talkies but for.multichammel audio (according to wikipedia
> > 30 - 400 mhz)   ?
>
> Walkie talkies run on a 12.5kHz narrow band, and need ~50kHz of channel
> space. Broadcast quality FM (as in radio mics) uses a channel space of
> ~250kHz. Given than channel "skirts" are quite a bit wider multiple
> local channels cannot sit close to each other, and are commonly spaced
> ~500kHz apart. They also have to avoid numerical frequencies which would
> cause intermodulation. Thus remarkably few analogue radio channels can
> fit into a single (8MHz) TV channel space. The usual answer is ~12 at
> best. Some claim more but range and mutual interference may suffer. With
> digital modulation this can improve to ~20 because the effects of
> interference are reduced.
>
> Range is directly related to bandwidth, transmission power, and RF
> signal-to-noise limitations of the receiver. Narrow band with limited
> audio bandwidth and restricted (audio) signal-to-noise is a much easier
> task with a couple of AA cells than 20kHz audio with 100dB (companded)
> dynamic range. Digital radio mics have been even harder to make that can
> modulate something that equates to full broadcast bandwidth and dynamic
> range into the the same 250kHz bandwidth as analogue, and with roughly
> the same range/battery power.
>
> I've no idea what the .multichannel audio is - can you elaborate? And I
> can't imaging that there is any spectrum clear in the 30-400MHz region.
>
> Chris Woolf
>

> ---

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD