The RF issue of range, carrier frequency, channel width is quite separate from
the deliverable audio path.

The Opus audio codec has revolutionized audio coding. It's able to deliver
full-bandwidth audio at bitrates not much more than what was once typical of a
telephone call. This means that the RF band need not be large to deliver high
quality audio over a digital link.

There are a diverse range of wireless microphone and monitors. Some have
multi-channel capability in support of unique pathways for the various artists
in an ensemble.

Their RF characteristics are made to match regulatory realities in different
jurisdictions. Some are analog (ex. companded FM) others digital. To my
knowledge, none are IP-based.

There are folks in the HAM radio space using digital compression techniques to
deliver wideband audio over extremely low-bitrate links. Think sub-3 kbps for
voice.

Michael Graves
mgra...@mstvp.com
http://www.mgraves.org