On Mon, 27 May 2002 14:02:32 -0400, Howard Eisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 04:38:11AM +0000, Joe da Silva wrote:
>
>> The main problem I had, starting with LSPPP 0.75, was an LCP bug
>> which prevented me logging-in to my ISP.
>
>Aha. This sounds like the same problem I had - LSPPP was hanging
>on "Authenticating...".
>
>> So, the good news is that, with the permission of David Lindauer,
>> I have posted LSPPP 0.8 at "http://jds-freeware.hypermart.net";.
>
>I just tried it (with the built-in dialer) and so far it has loaded
>every time.
>
>I have been testing DOS PPP on a 386sx16 laptop with less than 2
>meg ram and parallel port pocket modem. The modem driver is not
>compatable with emm386 so I have to run everything in conventional

Ouch!!! You don't say which EMM386 you are using. You might try
another one? For example, the DR-DOS 7.XX versions have had a few
problems, although the one from DR-DOS 7.03 (or 7.02 update) is
not too bad. AFAIK, the MS/IBM versions are well behaved, as is
the one from DR-DOS 6.0 (which was actually the version Caldera
used in the DR-Webspyder demo!). Failing this, you just have to
make do with HiMem and use the "DOS=high" setting in CONFIG.SYS,
at least that will get most of the DOS out of the conventional
memory. Also, if you are using DR-DOS 7.XX, you can make some
drivers such as NWCACHE and NWCDEX run in extended memory, by

(BTW, I know nothing of parallel port modems.)