[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> Interesting idea. I just booted knoppix 5.0.1 on my amd64, and tried a
> 32-bit "echo mem > /sys/power/state" from a running X desktop. It
> suspended successfully, and it still failed to resume, but this time at
> least the hard drive isn't on solid. Otherwise the same, though -
> frozen, unresponsive machine, no video, no disk activity generated by
> keyboard presses.

at last, progress!  I booted knoppix again (5.0.1 is based on a
2.6.17-git kernel, iirc), did 'init 2' for text mode, and ran
"echo mem > /sys/power/state".

Then I used the touchpad to wake the machine (something I've never tried
before), and it resumed into knoppix! The video was dead, but that seems
to be a known problem with existing workarounds. But driving blind, I
was able blink the caps-lock LED and shut the system down normally.

So I know the hardware can be made to work now. Next I'll see if I can
use s2ram to restore video.

Jason