On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 08:31:13AM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> Ok, try the following (not with s2ram, but with plain vbetool. If it works,
> it will be in s2ram real soon ;-):

> #!/bin/bash
> X=`vbetool vbemode get`
> echo mem > /sys/power/state
> vbetool post
> vbetool vbemode set $X
>
> (maybe try the "vbetool vbemode get" beforehand, it should do no harm to
> the running system. If this also segfaults, there is probably not much sense
> in trying it in combination with suspend...)

"vbetool vbemode get" prints "3", and there are no segfaults. Using
vbemode doesn't really make anything better, though.

Using it inside X causes the video to stay black after resume. Using it
on a framebuffer console produces better results than without vbemode,
but the framebuffer is still messed up. It's more readable because
there's not per-row corruption...instead, parts of the screen get
translated around.

I figured out another thing about this laptop - s2ram success has
nothing to do with whether it's running a 32 or 64 bit kernel. The only
thing that makes any difference (once the video issue is handled) is
whether or not the ide driver is in use. I thought 32-bit was special
because booting into knoppix made s2ram work - but really the only
difference is no use of /dev/hda.  If I run 'cat /dev/hda > /dev/null'
while suspending, I get a lockup during resume just like on 64-bit.

Conversely, if I make a custom initrd that boots a 64-bit kernel but
doesn't load any ide module, and do the suspend/resume in the initrd
before mounting root, I can s2ram repeatedly with no problem.

Oddly, in the 32-bit knoppix case, the use of the cdrom doesn't seem to
be a problem. The lockups only happen when the hard drive gets involved.

Jason