Hi!

>    I'm using the stock suspend with SLED 10 (which seems to be almost the
>    same RPM as in Suse 10.1 - suspend-20060406-9.8).
>    S2RAM reports the following on my machine:
>    This machine can be identified by:
>        sys_vendor   = "Sony Corporation"
>        sys_product  = "VGN-A190(UC)"
>        sys_version  = "C0003EL3"
>        bios_version = "R0030F1"
>    I would like to report a limited amount of success using s2ram and
>    standard suspend-to-disk on this machine.  Limited because, perhaps
>    one time out of five, the machine just hard locks when it wakes up
>    from a suspend to disk or ram.  I am using the proprietary ATI drivers
>    ( 8.27.18) and suspend is still relatively stable.

Eh, just don't use proprietary drivers.

>    I have noticed a few other problems with suspending:
>    1. Suspend to ram still uses battery at about 50% the normal rate,
>    even when suspended!  The laptop also stays very warm when
>    suspended.

Find out which parts produce the heat... then fix those drivers.

>    2. Both suspends take a long time to wake up from (and aren't very
>    fast at suspending).  It take perhaps 30 seconds to resume from ram
>    and more from disk.

Try with 2.6.18-rc4-vanilla.

>    3. Even after resuming from RAM the disk sometimes doesn't come online
>    immediately.  I can run some commands but commands that access the
>    disk like 'ls' stall the machine for 10-20 more seconds until I hear
>    the disk spin up and everything goes back to normal.
>    I have some questions that I hope someone can help me with:

Vanilla.

>    1. Is it normal for s2ram to use so much battery when suspended or is
>    this specific to my machine?

Specific to your machine -- but we are eating too much power on many
machines. See radeon problems on thinkpads.

>    2. Might the battery usage during s2ram have to do with my display
>    driver?  Maybe its not powering down properly?

That's probable cause.

>    3. Is it possible that upgrading to the new version, as explained by
>    Pavel below, could fix these issues?
>    4. Would it be useful to just upgrade the suspend user tools or do I
>    have to also update the kernel?

You need new kernel, not new s2disk.
                                                                        Pavel
(cesky, pictures)