On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 11:30:50AM +0200, Sheer El-Showk wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Again, thanks for all the input. Stefan my machine is new.  I bought it less
> than two years ago and it was a very expensive laptop ;->  Its a Sony A190
> (the ones with the giant screens that are completely unportable) and in
> Windows resume is pretty fast (its been a while since i tested it but it was
> < 5 secs I'd say).  I'll check later but I also think windows doesn't
> consume battery nearly as quickly when suspending to ram (this is probably
> the issue Pavel brought up so I'll try and look into it).

Ok.

> When I wake the machine from a suspend the console comes back up instantly
> telling me that its "Restarting tasks" but then it sits there for about 30
> seconds (I've timed it many times and its pretty consistent) before finally

This is strange. It sounds more like suspend to disk usually behaves.
Pavel, could this be a harddisk timeout issue?

> going to X.  I've gone through the logs to try and find out where its
> spending the time but the log times don't seem reliable to me because I
> think suspend messages from before and after suspending often get mixed into
> the log.  In any case its not clear to me from the log whether the messages
> are tasks being restarted after X is already up (such as dhcp, etc...) or
> while I still see the console.  I also modified the 'restore_after_sleep'
> function in /usr/lib/powersave/scripts to print out the time before each
> message but it seems like all the things happening in that script happen
> almost instantaneously.  It gets called from restore_after_suspend_to_ram
> which basically doesn't do anything else.
>
> I don't really know how powersave is setup but I presume if I just call
> s2ram manually from the console that this does not run any scripts or
> anything on resume right?  But when I try s2ram manually it still takes ~30
> seconds to get me back to X windows.  I see the console immediately but it
> just sits there saying 'Restarting tasks' so it seems to me like whatever is
> happening is happening in the kernel.

even the powersaved scripts should not take this long :-)

Change to a text console (ctrl-alt-f1), log in as root and suspend with
"powersave -u", if it gets back on you immediately in this case, try issuing
"find /" to check if the harddisk is already working. If it is, this is
most likely a problem with the X server. Then manually switching back to
X (alt-f7) should take equally long like resuming does now.
--
Stefan Seyfried                     | "Please, just tell people
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |               to use KDE."