On Friday, 2 March 2007 18:49, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 05:34:54PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > I'm not saying HAL people should keep their whitelist. We should do it
> > exactly once, do it in s2ram, and do it right.
>
> They already do not use s2ram because "it is another dependency".
> Crap, i know, but that's reality.
>
> > That whitelist should have been in kernel; we can't do that, but it
> > still makes sense to keep it at low level.
>
> Then go ahead and push that to them.
> You also need to be able to tell the user if he can suspend - right now
> he can't know, unless he is root - and you need an easy way to update the
> whitelist without updating the suspend package.
> And vendors need to be able to put data for their machine into the database,
> without updating the suspend package.

I violently agree.

Moreover, as I said before, I think that the s2ram whitelist has reached the
point at which it's not sanely maintainable any more.

I think it's reasonable to have _one_ and _only_ one whitelist somewhere.
It should be maintained in one place by a single group of people, should be
downloadable from the Internet in a ready-to-use format and should be
_universal_.

Any other kind of a whitelist is only useful to a limited extent, IMHO.

Greetings,
Rafael