On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 03:01:52PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Wed 2007-02-28 00:06:13, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:30:23PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > > I do not think we want to go into that trap. We do not want "any
> > > arbitrary matcher". That's no better than matching in C code.
> > >
> > > If PCI IDs/subids are good at telling machines apart, lets use that.
> >
> > Ok. HAL can already match them easily :-)
>
> I'd really prefer not to use HAL.

You don't have to. You can still use "sram -f -foo -whatever". There is
even the "alias" command in most shells to make this easier ;-)

> > Another thing: what about machines that work good with either the X server
> > restoring the video _or_ with vbe_post|vbe_save, but not with both?
>
> Fix X server. Seriously, this is X server problem.

Well, whole s2ram is about not fixing it where it should be fixed. The kernel
is the one that should do the workarounds.
And i was told that even though the intel X server comes with source, the code
is nice enough that nobody wants to really look at it ;-)
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"
"Well, surrounding them's out."