On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 03:41:53PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > I'd really prefer not to use HAL.
> >
> > You don't have to. You can still use "sram -f -foo -whatever". There is
> > even the "alias" command in most shells to make this easier ;-)
>
> Yep... and change my shell scripts every time I switch a machine. No,
> thanks.

Just use "powersave -u" or "pm-suspend".
Sorry, your usecase is not the one demanded by 99% of our audience.
I also first develop stuff that is of use for me, then i think about
the others, that's quite natural, but watching this whitelist stuff get
more and more tricky over time, i don't think it is a good idea to work
actively against the HAL and desktop developers.

> > Well, whole s2ram is about not fixing it where it should be fixed. The
> > kernel
> > is the one that should do the workarounds.
>
> s2ram is for workarounds that we _can't_ fix properly. This is X
> server problem that _can_ be fixed.

So where is your patch?
;-)

> You are right that with proper video drivers s2ram can hopefully
> disappear in far future, but...
>
> > And i was told that even though the intel X server comes with source, the
> > code
> > is nice enough that nobody wants to really look at it ;-)
>
> I do not have affected system, and don't try to ship me one ;-).

Your X60 will behave pretty badly with a recent intel X server, if you suspend
it with VBE_POST|VBE_SAVE (it is not the listed combination for that machine,
but it should be a pretty harmless one). This is why i switched many entries to
VBE_POST|VBE_MODE, which is apparently frienldier to the intel X server.

Baseline is: i won't implement PCI id matching. pm-utils already use HAL
(the upstream code even does not use s2ram at all, they use vbetool etc.
standalone, so i have to patch in s2ram support, but i have an evil plan
to finally achieve world domination that might change that soon) and i will
probably too in the near future (just using s2ram with the command line
options and skipping the whitelist).
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"