> > > did -p -m leave the console totally dark, or was it just empty, (but
> > > pressing
> > > enter gave you a new prompt)? I'm asking because the console being empty
> > > is
> > > not a bug but working as expected (this is documented, and somebody who
> > > really cares should probably fix it by submitting a patch ;-)
> >
> > no, there was junk all over the screen. switching VTs to X and back
> > cleared it (the same as just with -p)
>
> And when you pressed enter, did you get a readable prompt or was it
> all fscked up until you switched to X?

At least for me, -p -m works fine, unless I have done a -p before.
After -p, a next -p or -p -m returns a messy screen that only recovers
after a switch to X (but after that, a subsequent -p -m again delivers
a messy screen without a readable prompt).

I guess there is a reason to try these options in the order given!
Though it may be worthwile adding a warning that after doing an option
that does not quite work, one should reboot.

-- Marten