Hi Matt, Stefan,

OK, so I finally have a working s2ram on my Dell X200!!  I first
thought it was related to the fact that Matt used intelfb while I did
not, but it turned out the trick is to have vga=792 (=0x318) as a boot
option (with or without intelfb; surprisingly vga=773, which should be
the same except 8 bits instead of 24 bits does not do it).  With that,
it works!

The options I found I needed were "-p -m"

Note that I do not need an additional "-s" as suggested by Matt
(though that works too).  I think that suggestion might be related to
something I noted while trying different variations, that after "-p"
on its own the console gets all garbled (green stuff on it; as Matt
said, it needs switching to X and back to clear).  And after that
happened once, "-p -m" was not enough any more -> it would lead to
green stuff again.  But as long as one sticks to "-p -m" from the
beginning, it's fine.

So, Matt, perhaps you can:
* confirm that -p -m is sufficient after starting up the machine?
* check that somewhere or other you use vga=792 as well (it wasn't
  explicitly in the /proc/cmdline you sent; mine is
weasel:~# cat /proc/cmdline
root=/dev/hda5 ro vga=792

With that, the X200 should be able to make it in the whitelist (though
I don't know how you would deal with a vga setting...).

Otherwise, I'm mostly curious whether the fact that vga=0 does *not*
work for a Dell X200 is unique to this machine.  Perhaps the web site
should mention it as yet something else to try...

Thanks, all best wishes,

Marten

p.s.  Of course, if the above leads anyone to some other suggestions
of things to check (or bug reports to send), I would be most happy to
oblige.