On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 03:17:29PM +0100, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 09:02:19AM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:

> > > Hmm... Maybe I don't have working s2ram. I now have really weird
> > > graphics artifacts. The screen is not updating correctly any more. I
> > > shall have to do a proper suspend to get it back.
> >
> > i810 X driver? Try "-p -m" instead of "-p -s".
>
> -p -m didn't work from the console, -p -m -s did. I've since tried from

did -p -m leave the console totally dark, or was it just empty, (but pressing
enter gave you a new prompt)? I'm asking because the console being empty is
not a bug but working as expected (this is documented, and somebody who
really cares should probably fix it by submitting a patch ;-)

> X with -p -m -s (it's in my lidswitch.sh) and that didn't have the
> artifacts.
>
> OOI, is there any reason not to use all the workarounds all the time?

Yes. Generally it is considered "best practice" to use as little workarounds
as necessary, since those also might have undesirable side effects (like the
artifacts in newer i810 drivers). Some machines also just plain hang if you
poke at the graphics card in the running system.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"
"Well, surrounding them's out."