> A small quantity of porcine lipase can be purchased from
Worthington
> <http://www.worthington-biochem/com/priceList/L/Lipase.html> for
> US$21. There is also some good info at
> <http://www.worthington-biochem/manual/L/PL.html>. Many references
> are provided, which I have not yet read. Do you know for certain
that
> methyl or ethyl esters would be created by adding alcohol to the
> lipase/oil emulsion?
Yepp. It has been done before. But now there are methods to recover
cheaply the overpriced lipase, and this certainly is a way to look
at. No harsh chemicals, giant pH leaps, no washing... 'ts the world
of wonderdiesel. It can create bio in a watery envyronment (actually
it needs some water), creates methyl esters, ethyl esters, butyl
esters, iso-propyl esters (the latter are said to be extremely winter
friendly)....
Perhaps alcohol would denature the enzyme and
> shut down the reaction?
Short chain alcohols can damage unstabilized enzymes. But if I can
get the lipase to sit on little pieces of ceramics?

Cheers, Aleks