It seems to me that since the biodiesel process
requires heat and in many climes home heating is a
major cost of living the prime use of "waste" glycerol
would be energy production/heat.

Our initial attempts at modifying the "flame guns"
used in fuel oil furnaces to burn glycerol are showing
(as an earlier post from a member of this group
warned) a build up on the guns and in the combustion
chambers. We are also noting some corrosive effects on
the unit pumps which may be due to the glycerol
quality. Strait WVO seems to work better (as we
suspected it would) and so would seem to be the prime
candidate for home heating oil substitution since it
requires minimal processing.

Accordingly glycerol would seem to be most useful as a
heat source for biodiesel production.

Has anyone accumulated some hours using glycerol in a
non-injected type fuel oil furnace?
Some of our older members (myself included) recall a
"drip type" fuel oil furnace that was simplicity
itself but cannot find a source for them. They were
not thermostatically controlled. The maintenance
consisted of an annual cleaning of accumulated
"clinker" from the combustion chamber.
In cold climates such as ours in MN a primary furnace
of this type could be used to provide for a constant
heat input to a home and the existing furnace could be
used to provide supplementary heat when the primary
units capacity is not sufficient.

I also recall seeing a fuel oil domestic hot water
heater (several decades ago) which worked on the same
principal and would adapt beautifully to heating WVO
for biodiesel production.

Is anyone aware of a source for either one of these
products?

A third, more complicated use for glycerol might be
electrical production using a steam powered generator.
In my younger days I was involved in fluid bed reactor
research and some of our bench test units would
cleanly combust nearly anything. Combined with a steam
generator they were actually quite efficient and
simpler to build than a Biodiesel production unit.

Is anyone aware of a simple to build steam engine
design or a source for inexpensive steam
engines/turbines in the 10 HP range?

Efficiency would be raised substantially if the
glycerol could be combusted and used for electrical
production and the cogenerated heat could be harnessed
for Biodiesel production use or even home heating.

Dana Linscott