> Thanks Todd, you have been a great help, I cant say that I was successful
on
> the first try, my first method of adjatation was too slow and I ended up
with
> some nasty globby stuff  that made me wish that I hadnt invested in 55gal
of
> methanol. It look good now but the wash had me puzzled. Ther is a definate
> seperation now but the clearer is on the bottom?
It takes some radical agitation and sufficient time to make sure the
reaction goes to completion. The bigger the reaction vessel, the more time
required, even if a larger motor and propellers are used.

Yes, all your "unwanteds" will separate to the bottom: the dark
glycerin/alcohol/catalyst layer during the reaction phase, water during the
wash phase and even the alcohol/catalyst mentioned when you check for
completion using a second reaction in the small 1/2 gallon container.

Should you ever find the lesser volume layer on top after the reaction, you
will know that you did not use enough catalyst to overcome the amount free
fatty acids in the feedstock. In such an instance, your catalyst simply made
soap and the unused alcohol is resting on top of the oil.

There's a remedy for this error, but it's unimportant until it happens.

Todd
Appal Energy