Treehugger wrote:

>http://opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=95000606

These guys... Just another mediocrity distinguished mainly by his
arrogance and pomposity. How can you tell? Just watch them blame the
media! - 99% of the time it's them, not the poor old meeja. And, as
opposed to whom, what does he blame? The meeja? No, not at all - "As
usual, far too much public attention was paid to the hastily prepared
summary rather than to the body of the report." And who prepared the
summary with such unseemly haste? The media? Nope. The media aren't
competent to handle science? Other way round. These guys actually
expect journos on daily or hourly deadlines to wade through their
turgid crap? And if only they did they'd get it right? I have long
experience as a science editor, among other things, and that idea is
(a) pretty endemic in the science world but seldom heard from
excellent scientists, and (b) just makes me laugh. Lots of little
emperors, damn' little clothing. He really didn't realise that the
report bore heavy political implications and would obviously be
subject to a media rush, and quite right too? He's that naive/dumb?
Prediction: in two years' time he'll be saying very patronisingly
about what he himself said two years previously: "Of course we know
now..." So I wouldn't agree or disagree with what he says, I'd just
disregard it completely. And probably view the report itself with
added suspicion.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects