Keith,

I did not mean to imply that YOU were bashing...your
posts seem very balanced as a whole. But I must take
some issue with your "massively disproportionate
amount of the world's energy" and the "needing the
inefficient cars you make there".

Last time I looked the North American continent
produced a huge amount of the worlds food. A massively
disproportionate amount. Is this where we should start
cutting back? The fuel use in growing, transporting,
and processing foodstuffs is substantial.  Heating and
cooling also account for a huge amount of our
massively disproportionate energy use. Unlike Europe
North America consists of small temperate zones and
large tracts of largely inhospitable climate zones. Is
this where we should cut back? Not a realistic
possibility.

The simplistic solution of all Americans driving more
fuel efficient autos is not a solution at all. It is a
diversion.

One interested poster suggested that Australia is a
comparably large and spread out country that does not
use more than its' fair share of energy. Last time I
looked the vast majority of Aussies lived in a very
small part of the nation and much of the rest was
largely underutilized. Not a valid comparison.

 I cannot defend the "ugly American" stereotype that
is (too) often presented as the average American but
it like most if not all stereotypes is not a useful or
accurate view. We are (in general) a wealthy country
when compared to the rest of the world but this
generalization is only marginally useful since we also
have a good portion of our population that is "poverty
stricken". I was at one time in my life what could
best be described as an American peasant, raising my
own food, living in a shack I built from local
materials, no electricity, no running water, heating
and cooking with wood. I experienced some very harsh
life for nearly 2 decades as did my family. Yet during
this time I knew I was fortunate to live in North
America as I had a chance of pulling myself out of
poverty and many other peasants in the world did not.

I am not sure that opportunity still exists in the US.
I know it is getting more and more difficult every
year, and much of this is due to higher energy
prices...which tend to concentrate wealth and is
mainly borne by the low and middle income citizens.

YES, I agree that there are large inefficient autos
built in North America...as well as Europe. There are
also small efficient autos. We have a mix, and in
general everyone except the very rich (who will be
largely unaffected by energy prices) purchase and use
the most efficient vehicle they can afford. Can we do
better? Of course!

And YES, I agree that in general Americans are too
soft, most having never experienced true deprivation,
and often are too quick to whine about discomforts.
BUT. The "solutions" proposed of a "good bashing" and
US$5 a gallon gas are at best ineffective and at worst
counterproductive. Higher gas cost in the US would
invariably cause a shift in power to the very folks
who don't give a damn about anything but their own
greed. This is a small and exclusive group...and
definitely not the average American.

So, if we have gotten beyond the (admitted)
bashing...how about some constructive ideas that have
the possibility of making the world situation
better...without plunging more Americans into poverty.
Believe me, when I am offered a workable solution I do
everything within my power to get it in place. And I
know from experience that I can make a
difference...Although it is beyond my ability to
improve the infrastructure that is the cause of the
study you cite.

Dana Linscott

snip