Hi Dana

>Hi Keith,
>
>Are you trying to prove or disprove my point(s)?

Well, you may have noticed I keep saying (at every possible
opportunity!) that US gas is way too cheap. However you want to look
at it, the US uses a massively disproportionate amount of the world's
energy (amongst other things), and it's high time you (collectively)
stopped. The cheap prices have a lot to do with it.

But no, I wasn't taking sides. I'm not into Ameribashing (I think I
just bashed a Brit, didn't I?). I'm more inclined to defend Americans
when they get bashed, as the archives will testify. Of course if they
want to bash each other, who am I to interfere? :-) I just thought
your argument over having such a big country and therefore needing
the inefficient cars you make there didn't hold too much water. How
many American miles driven are accounted for by that factor? I'm sure
it's very few. Most are commutes, no? Sitting in the traffic, wasting
all that fuel.

And why should long distances equate with low efficiency? I don't see
the link. I come from a big country, so does Dick, so do all the
Australians on the list. It's not quite as you say. When I first
started working in Johannesburg I quite often used to drive home to
Cape Town for the weekend, 1,000 miles, in a Mini. It took me 11-12
hours each way. Okay, it was a pretty quick Mini, but it didn't use
much gas. Later I had an Alfa, then a Peugeot, a Fiat... Toyotas,
Escorts, none of them big. No need for big cars just because you
travel far. My Peugeot 404 was better off-road than most of the 4x4
toys I see around these days. I once swapped it with a friend for a
few days because I needed his pickup, and when we reswapped he said:
"Don't you ever have to put fuel in that thing?" Great long-distance
car.

<snip>

>I stand by my previous statement about the
>requirements of a country with such vast distances
>over which people and things must be transported and
>the difficulty of those that live in a more compact
>continent to understand this. I am sorry if some have
>a difficult time accepting this point of veiw.

Can't see it, Dana, doesn't make sense to me.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo