There are a variety of ways to produce hydrogen.  Although the fundamental
energy equations still apply, energy can be obtained from as you say
hydroelectric, solar, geothermal, and algae.  I think Iceland is big on
this.

Also compression isn't the only way to store the hydrogen.  THEY'RE using
hydrogen absorbing alloys and the like.

I like hydrogen!!!

Mike