steve spence wrote:

> the point is, if you generate 1kw from solar, shouldn't you store 80% in a
> battery (ev) instead of 30% in a hydrogen tank (fuel cell ev)?

    An excellent question.  In terms of energy density, lead acid batteries are
perfectly adequate for the short trips most people make during the work day.
Extended range, however, requires more battery mass, and this is where H2,
particularly in hydride form, shines over current battery technology.

    Further, some of us live in cold climates, and batteries deliver
significantly less energy when they're cold.  In some places on earth, the
abundance of hydro electricity, or the possibility of solar thermal processes
make hydrogen production feasible.  (It may soon be cheaper in British Columbia
to split water with grid power and burn the H2 in an engine than to burn
gasoline, and a gaseous fuel conversion remains significantly more affordable
than converting to electric.  It could be done in the southwestern U.S. with
concentrated dish or trough systems, as the American Hydrogen Association
advocates.)

    In practical terms, however, I have to agree with you.  EVs make better
economic and thermodynamic sense than H2 with fuel cells or internal combustion
engines in most places.  I think a lot of the discussion concerning fuel cell
usage in automobiles consists of little more than green wash.  If we really
wanted to be environmentally friendly, we'd walk, or ride a bike!

robert luis rabello