Hi Robert and All,

--- robert luis rabello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> steve spence wrote:
>
> > the point is, if you generate 1kw from solar,
> shouldn't you store 80% in a
> > battery (ev) instead of 30% in a hydrogen tank
> (fuel cell ev)?
> >

>     An excellent question.  In terms of energy
> density, lead acid batteries are
> perfectly adequate for the short trips most people
> make during the work day.
> Extended range, however, requires more battery mass,
> and this is where H2,
> particularly in hydride form, shines over current
> battery technology.
      Batteries are quite capable of extended range. A
dedicated EV can get 100+ mile range on lead batts.
I'm building an EV that gets 150 mile range with them.

     Or ni-cads the range goes to 200 miles+ and with
Lithium it goes to 300 miles.
     Solectra built a composite EV 4 pass sadan that
gets 225+ miles on NiMH batts on a run from Boston to
NY at freeway speeds with power left over.
     Lead batts can be charged 80% in 20 minutes and
ni-cads can be charged 100% in 30 minutes.
   Or an APU of 6hp/ 1,000# gets you unlimited range
at 100 mpg.
    All at 50% of the energy use of a fuel( fool) cell
system.
    As for power/ weight ratio compared to fuel cells
ni-cads or lithium beats hydrogen storage.

>     Further, some of us live in cold climates, and
> batteries deliver
> significantly less energy when they're cold.  In
    Neither ni-cads or lithium batts have a problem
with cold and a little insulation solves the problems
of lead batts.
> some places on earth, the
> abundance of hydro electricity, or the possibility
> of solar thermal processes
> make hydrogen production feasible.  (It may soon be
> cheaper in British Columbia
> to split water with grid power and burn the H2 in an
> engine than to burn
> gasoline, and a gaseous fuel conversion remains
> significantly more affordable
> than converting to electric.
    Done right the EV will cost less when in full
production than an ICE.
    Do you really think that a gaseous H2 conversion
cost less than a electric conversion. Storing H2 is
not cheap.
> It could be done in
> the southwestern U.S. with
> concentrated dish or trough systems, as the American
> Hydrogen Association
> advocates.)
    Or go twice as far with an EV on the same energy.

>     In practical terms, however, I have to agree
> with you.  EVs make better
> economic and thermodynamic sense than H2 with fuel
> cells or internal combustion
> engines in most places.  I think a lot of the
> discussion concerning fuel cell
> usage in automobiles consists of little more than
> green wash.  If we really
> wanted to be environmentally friendly, we'd walk, or
> ride a bike!
    I agree except Ev's always make sense especially
when RE electricity is used to charge them and a small
APU is use for the few times you would need more than
100 mile range..
     I do ride an E-bike.
                 jerry dycus