No doubt all what professor Pimentel has said is absolutely correct. But in
50 years time when world conventional oil production is down to 17 billion
barrels per day and demand for oil equivalent in liquid fuels is 70 billion
barrels per day, American motor vehicles are not going to be powered solely
by ethanol produced from corn.

There will be other far more efficient methods of producing energy for
transportation. Enzymatic conversion of cellulosic feed stocks to sugars and
alcohols will no doubt be one of them. If we already have the technology to
clone stud animals today, then surely we will soon have the technology to
genetically engineer plants that produce their own enzymes not only for
cellulose-sugar conversion, but also sugar-alcohol conversion. We will
simply mash up these plants, put them into a fermentation tank, add water,
raise the temperature and distil the resulting beer.

Deriving liquid fuels from natural gas, coal, shale, tar sands and methane
hydrates etc. will not only be too expensive, but also create atmospheric,
land and water pollution which by 2050 will no longer be politically
acceptable in any part of the world. Therefore a combination of reduced
demand for liquid fuels and cheap bio fuels produced from dedicated energy
crops is the most likely long term scenario.

In the meantime however, what if it takes 70% more energy to produce ethanol
from corn that the ethanol produces? It is good for the atmosphere, it is
good for the farmers, it makes cars run better and it boosts technology
development.

So the industry is subsidised. What would we rather do? Spend the tax dollar
on something that is good for the rural GDP and good for the planet, or make
OPEC wealthier, spew more CO2 into the atmosphere and have our economies run
down a path of ever increasing environmental cost and diminishing resources.

Sometimes one wonders what these so called scientists do for common sense.
They are so busy investigating, analysing, and tabulating, that they loose
sight of the practical world that we live in.

Hanns