Hello,
I have been looking at your archived postings and
researching different designs of VSO conversions. I
have yet to come across any that overcome the use of
diesel or biodiesel as a startup/purging fuel.
Does anyone know of cars that have been rigged to
start on VSO even on cold days?

I have the outlines of a possible design here, and I
am keen to hear what you think of it.

SVO/WVO only design:
-       Single fuel tank and delivery system (SVO)
-       Fuel lines and possibly tank heated with engine
coolant (pipe in pipe) and insulated
-       Electrical heating element (wire) inserted inside
fuel lines close to the engine, near to the fuel pump
and injectors. Also electrical heat tape wrapped
around the outside of pump and injectors.
-       A small reservoir installed just before the fuel
pump. This would consist of a collapsible bellows,
also heated from the inside with heating wire.

So with all this in place, it would be operated as
follows:
The electrical heaters would be turned on, as you
might with glow plugs. These will bring the fuel that
first needs to get to the engine up to temperature.
In the worst case example, you might find all your SVO
fuel solid in the morning. In this case the electrical
heaters would melt and heat up the fuel close to the
engine and the engine would begin to use  up this and
the fuel in the reservoir bellows, collapsing it as it
did so. With the engine now running however, it could
start to melt the rest of the fuel supply and
replenish the reservoir. The electrical heaters would
be controlled thermostatically to cool down and shut
off as the fuel supply heats up sufficiently.

The practicality of it all would depend to a great
extent on how quickly the electrical heaters generally
took to bring the SVO up to temp. Bear in mind that
the volume of fuel contained in these ãend of the
lineä components isnât very big and that the specific
heat capacity of Veg oil is probably quite low. I
would hope it could heat up quite quickly.

You then have to weigh up waiting for a veg oil only
car to heat up or the slightly cumbersome procedure of
switching fuels in an SVO/diesel. I suppose in part I
am trying to find a design that is easy for Joe public
to buy and not think twice about.

Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback on this,

Thanks,
Tim.

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Call any Phone in the World from your PC with CrystalVoice
-LOW rates world-wide - $0.039/min in U.S.
FREE trial. Click here.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ib1xVB/IxbDAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM