Tim -

Yes it is done, but is unwise, especically if no modifications are made to
the injectors, etc., and it is most often done on older Mercedes with the
oil-fed inline Bosch pump and percussion balls in the prechamber. That
combination and the engine's durable design, and the use primarily of new
rapeseed oil (thinner, cleaner, and better combustion than waste cooking
oil, and cheaper than petrodiesel in Germany, where most of this is done),
allows people to get away with it to some extent.

However, for most engines (and I have the Mercedes and still do not use the
single tank idea),  even if one has a design that heats the fuel
sufficiently on a cold day at startup (alternator output becomes an issue,
you are really asking a lot to pre-glow the engine and pre-heat the fuel,
all electrically, and at about the same time, prior to startup), you would
still be injecting SVO into a cold combustion chamber at startup, and
allowing SVO to cool in the combustion chamber at the end of the cycle.

 This leads to excessive coking of the injector tips, poor combustion
characteristics, upper cylinder deposits, ring sticking, excessive wear in
the engine. It might take a while, and this is where people fool themselves
into thinking its ok and all is well.

Given the above, and the need for considerable electric heating in the sort
of design you propose (both 12V and mains overnight, probably), it is easier
and less expensive to use other techniques, the foundation of which is the
two-tank arrangement. Then you can use return fuel heat, glycol heat,
electric heat and/or combinations to do the job quite easily. The down side
of installing an extra tank is a bit of lost space, but the positive is also
added range.

We have two-tank systems that use just electric heating, and also
glycol+electric for colder climates, and they start at $299 US. They are
quite straightforward installations, usually installed by one or two people
in under a day.

If someone shows me good studies that use single tanks longer term and no
problems in terms of coking, I'd take a look at it, but the other issue is
that new rapeseed oil is probably superior to most other oils, and yet
around the world, many people will be using a range of new and used oils
that are not as fit, have higher cloud points, less favourable combustion
properties, etc. So, studies showing acceptable longer term results on
single tank but on  rapeseed oil, and on Mercedes engines as described,
would not be helpful.

Edward Beggs
www.biofuels.ca

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM