Greg, re the comment I made about EPA not letting you store oil underground
at a residence:   EPA issued regs on underground tank storage a few years
ago. I threw them all out, but  reviewed them closely at the time because I
had a small grocery store with 5 tanks, not being used,  previously storing
gasoline in the ground that I had to remove account of the Underground Tank
Storage Law defined in regs that EPA issued, requiring the removal of all
tanks from commercial establishments by deadline date that has long since
pased, with strong penalties and  specified liabilities which could be used
as basis for suit in event any neighbor  wanted to sue.     As part of their
regs, the States were each required to establish Underground  Tank Storage
regulatory agencies who  were responsible for implementing the law.
Residences may have been exempted at the time for one 250-gal  oil tank, but
these regs were increasingly rigidly enforced.  But effectively, the
definitions of liability, limited that practice so far as being able to
install any new tanks underground.  Oil or gasoline suppliers here; in
Maryland won't put such a tank underground; everything is above ground.  On
my farm insurance I was asked specifically whether I had any underground
tanks, the implication being that if they were there the insurance rates
would be higher, if indeed insurance would be allowed.  I was happy that my
one tank had been removed.   So, EPA implements their regulations, not only
explictly and directly, but by defining liability which, for fear of suit,
forces compliance  from those not directly covered by their regulations.  I
believe, however, that these underground tank storage regs have been
gradually extended to now prohibit oil or gasoline tanks from  being
installed at residences.

Glenn Ellis

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM