Milkweed is one I remember. Grows pretty well some places.

Kirk

-----Original Message-----
From: Harmon Seaver [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 11:46 AM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Re: biofuel at the pumps

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 11:27:27AM -0700, Ken Provost wrote:
> Economics get all counter-intuitive when a resource is widely/thinly
> distributed -- sunlight is another great example. What's interesting
> about vegoil is that it starts out very concentrated and expensive, and
> ends up widely distributed but of poor quality. Wouldn't it be nice if
> there was a widely distributed oil crop that was of little food use, so
> that good quality oil could be had in small quantities anywhere.
> Something like acorns, pinenuts, gopher plant, or perhaps a weed we're
> not paying attention to. And I don't mean jatropha, or jojoba, or cuphea,
> or anything you have to PLANT -- then it just becomes another
agribusiness.
> I mean an already existing weed. Any ideas?

   Not for oil, but cattails for ethanol certainly fits that bill. In fact,
locally I'm currently half-heartedly investigating a couple of different
cattail
control programs -- really big areas, hundreds, maybe thousands of acres,
that
the DNR and other people are looking at to restore to a more diverse
habitat. Their plan is to drain the areas and try to burn the cattails. I'd
think if they drain it enough, going in with big 4WD tractors w/double tires
pulling a potato digger it might both serve their purposes and create a
fantastic harvest of ethanol feedstock, plus biomass (the tops) for
gasification.
   I say half-heartedly only because I'm just in no position financially to
do
anything with it, although with the new ethanol plant being built within a
few
miles of one huge cattail marsh they want to clear, it would seem an easy
market.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix