Ed Beggs wrote:

>"From a historical perspective, milkweed pods were gathered from the wild,
>and the floss was extracted and used as fill for life jackets during World
>War II. After the War, these efforts were abandoned. Standard Oil of Ohio
>became involved with milkweed in the late 1970s. Nobel Laureate, Melvin
>Calvin, and others projected that billions of barrels of synthetic crude oil
>could be recovered from the biomass of milkweed. A research program in
>cooperation with Native Plants, Inc. was started to produce a synthetic
>crude oil from milkweed biomass. Milkweed was grown like hay--it was cut,
>dried, and baled. The dried biomass was then subjected to a hexane
>extraction and a few chemical processes to produce a crude oil substitute.
>The unfortunate conclusion from these studies was that the price was too
>high and the yield was too low. Economically, it was totally unfeasible."
>
>http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1993/v2-422.html
>
>------

I wonder if that would apply on a lesser scale than Standard Oil's,
using other techniques than hexane-extraction etc. For different
reasons, it could be similar to what Motie was just saying about
homebrewers collecting waste oil. Or producing your own energy on a
small, integrated farm, or a local coop of such farms.

Best

Keith

>on 5/21/02 12:44 PM, kirk at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I live in Montana. It grows in weed patches,  turned soil, burned areas,
> > roadsides etc.
> > You should be able to find lots of info on web. Some people
>cultivate it for
> > the pods.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search