womplex_oo1 wrote:

>What energy efficient, eco-friendly methods exist to convert
>cellulose to sugar so that entire plants - leaves, stem, roots & all -
> can be fermented into ethanol?  I've heard termites do this
>routinely...

I don't think it's termites do that, they use cellulose as a
substrate in their fungus farms. They don't eat the cellulose and
they don't eat sugar, they only eat the fungus. And they're the most
beautiful farms I've ever seen. The cellulose isn't converted, it's
rotted, in what looks like a very small compost pile, and probably is
just that. I found manure worms under one of those piles, quite
possibly they're also involved somehow. It would be a very controlled
rot, I don't think those fungi will grow anywhere else. Advanced
bio-engineering, all this. That termites do something routinely
doesn't mean we could do it at all, they're extraordinary creatures.
Not at all the only ones - have a look at this guy. Check out the
movie (top right) - doesn't hesitate at all, knows exactly what to do:

Here's a rare classic, a true work of genius - full-text online
(white ants are termites):
"The Soul of the White Ant" by Eugne N. Marais
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#marais

See: "Ethanol from cellulose":
http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_link.html#cellulose

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now