Wow! Thanks for the tips.  The earth's surface is covered in 70
percent water by area.  I am interested in aquaculture to grow kelp
forests that could supply large quantities of cellulose.  Kelp can be
grown on floating rafts in the middle of the ocean - screens
suspended 15-40 meters below the surface from buoys.  Some Kelp
varieties, such as Macrocystic Kelp, can grow up to 30 cm per day.
In addition kelp forests have their own floatation air sacs so that
the infrastructure (floating raft) that is used to provide a surface
to root onto only has to support its own weight, and not the weight
of the kelp.  Large areas of ocean can be planted this way, away from
coastal regions, where the ocean floor receives no light and there is
very little flora & fauna anyway.

If the process can be tweaked to use kelp as a feedstock, then it
will not interfere with land-based foodcrops, or animal feedcrops.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Juan Boveda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Woopex_oo1 wrote:
>
> >Two questions:
>
> >1. How do you culture the enzyme-producing fungus without using up
> >too much of the cellulose feedstock that is supposed to make
ethanol?

> Answer: In general is better to buy a well known fungus from
American Type
> Culture Collection or from and industrial strain from some
Biotechnoly
> companies and grow it in small o large scale with an broth with K+,
Ca++,
> Mg, Po4, SO4 =, NO3 -, Fe +++, micronutrients and some cotton fiber
or
> paper pulp. Mainly the fungi with enzymes for cellulase and
hemicellulase
> will be selectively developed, excreting their enzymes in the broth
to uso
> the cellulose and hemicellulose as carbon source. If there is no
> contamination, filter the fungi mycelia with sterilized paper
filter and
> then 0.5 micron sterile filter. Now you have a crude enzyme. If you
want to
> separate the salts, it could be done with ion resin, or you may
precipitate
> some enzymes using some salts, like amonium sulfate, test first,
then
> separate the presipited enzyme by filtration.
> Use the crude enzyme or the presipited enzyme on your finely ground
and
> clean cellulose to get some fermentable sugars.
> Look for the right yeast that could tolerate this medium to produce
> ethanol.
> If you go trying to isolate some fungi from wilderness take good
care, some
> might produce lung infections if your inmune system is not in good
shape.
> In an university library, in many biotechnoly journals you will
find lots
> of information and not only with fungi but reconbinant bacteria as
well.
>       See: Dien et al., "Conversion of Corn Milling Fibrous Co-
products
> into Ethanol by
>       Recombinant Escherichia coli Strains K011 and SL40," World
Journal of
> Microbiology &
>       Biotechnology, 13, 619-625 (1997).
>
>       Leathers et al., "Saccrification of Corn Fiber Using Enzymes
from
> Aureobasidium sp. Strain
>       NRRL Y-2311-1," Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 59,
337-347
> (1996).
>
>       There are many ways to repare these array of enzymes
Hemicellulase,
> Cellulase;  I search
>       some lates Patent on this issue:
>       U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
>       http://www.uspto.gov/patft/ > Patent Number Search
>
>       United States Patent 6,423,524 Hagen, et al. July 23, 2002
>       Cellulase preparation comprising an endoglucanase enzyme
>       Abstract
>       The present invention relates to cellulase preparations
consisting
> essentially of a
>       homogeneous endoglucanase component. The cellulase
preparation may be
> [...]
thereof,
> -amidyl, -hydrazidyl, nitrile. The process is especially useful for
> removing colored stains from fabrics in a washing process.
----
> -----------------
> United States Patent 6,242,245        Amann, et al.   June 5, 2001
>
> Multicomponent system for modifying, degrading or bleaching lignin
or
> lignin-containing materials, and processes for its use
> Abstract
> A multicomponent system for modifying, degrading or bleaching
lignin and
> lignin-containing materials or similar substances, includes an
> oxidoreductase and an oxidant suitable for the oxidoreductase and a
> mediator and at least one enzymatically active additive. The
mediator does
> not inactivate the oxidoreductase and the enzymatically active
additive,
> and the enzymatically active additive is selected from the group
consisting
> of the hydrolases of the enzyme class 3.2.1.
----
> -------
> United States Patent 6,426,410        Wang    July 30, 2002
> Phenol oxidizing enzymes
> Abstract
> Disclosed herein are novel phenol oxidizing enzymes naturally-
produced by
> strains of the species Stachybotrys which possess a pH optima in
the
> alkaline range and which are useful in modifying the color
associated with
> dyes and colored compounds, as well as in anti-dye transfer
applications.
> Also disclosed herein are biologically-pure cultures of strains of
the
> genus Stachybotrys, designated herein Stachybotrys parvispora MUCL
38996
> and Stachybotrys chartarum MUCL 38898, which are capable of
> naturally-producing the novel phenol oxidizing enzymes. Disclosed
herein is
> the amino acid and nucleic acid sequence for Stachybotrys phenol
oxidizing
> enzymes as well as expression vectors and host cells comprising the
nucleic
> acid. Disclosed herein are methods for producing the phenol
oxidizing
> enzyme as well as methods for constructing expression hosts.
>
> Best regards
>
> Juan
>
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Juan Boveda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The method to convert hole plants composed by cellulose,
> hemicellulose and
> > lignins uses ezimes and water to hydrolyse these material to
> soluble
> > sugars, theses enzimes are true catalysers coming from mainly
fungi
> and
> > some bacteria. These enzimes are called cellulase and
hemicellulase.

> > Many fungi has been isolated and are used by biotechnology
> >companies to produce cellulases in large scale. One of the
> >common uses of cellulases is
> > to finish blue jeans with a soft "stoned washed" touch.
> >
> > Some fungi cellulase (the specific enzime for cellulose) come from
> > Aspergillus niger, Trichoderma viride, Penicillium funiculosum,
etc.
> > they usually are a mixture of enzimes with different activities
or rate
> > of conversion of cellulose to fermentable sugars in a given
time.The
> > hemicellulases are produced as well by many of these strains for
> example
> > Aspergillus niger.
> >
> > The hardest to degrade are the lignins, few fungi are able to do
it
> soo,
> > because lignins are toxic compouds to most of them.
> >
> > Many of these fungal enzimes has maximun activities on mild acid
pH
> 4 to 7
> > and mild temperatures 20 - 50o C.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Juan
>
> > Woopex_oo1 wrote:

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aHOo4D/KJoEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM