>Ok .. so maybe not YOU personally!!! (LOL)
>
>But this air car thread was going around this list
>(ok, SEEMINGLY) like the panacea of the oil crisis ..
>the solution to "all our problems" ... etc .. etc.
>
>And that general feel is what made me go ...
>
>...HUH????????????????????????
>
>Curtis

Hi Curtis

I think it's the third time it's been discussed here, pretty similar each time.

I liked Hakan's post on it a couple of days ago, that made good sense to me.
http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=16624&list=BIOFUEL

As far as hydrogen is concerned, I much agree with Steve about the
difference between an air leak and a hydrogen leak, also it seems
most hydrogen is intended to come from or via fossil fuels. And
hydrogen is difficult to contain, it eats its way out.

Range isn't everything - what's the average car journey distance in
the US? I bet it's not much. Certainly a great many journeys are
short-range. There's a case for zero-emission short-range vehicles in
cities. Would an air car be much less efficient than an electric car?
It wouldn't have the battery problem. That might offset lower
efficiency, to a point. Oh, I see we had a long argument about this
before too. Largely unresolved, it seems. This was quite an
interesting one, from Doctor Who:
http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=7636&list=BIOFUEL

Separate argument (row, actually) was over batteries, with a fervent
EVer claiming batteries were THE recycling success story. Turned out
betwen 4 and 7 million defunct car batteries a year get dumped rather
than recycled in the US, where there's a good recycling
infrastructure for them, unlike in Third World countries where
there's no infrastructure, yet people think it's a Good Thing to
install PVs. (I've seen ground-up lead-acid batteries sold to farmers
as "zinc fertilizer".)

Anyhow, efficiency isn't the be-all and end-all either, it depends on
the particular function or purpose. Using lots of a non-transportable
fuel to make a much smaller amount of transportable fuel might be a
negative in terms of energy efficiency, but a positive in terms of
energy value. If the result is zero-emission (at the tailpipe
anyway), that adds another value.

I'm not convinced the air car's such a dumb idea. It was supposed to
launch in South Africa this year. Any news on that? Once it gets into
use somewhere it could possibly be developed quite a lot further.

Best

Keith

>--- Steve Spence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Who is giving it a green light? It's only slightly
>less dumb than hydrogen.

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM