>What makes an SUV an irresponsible car?  Irresponsible drivers make
>mistakes...  they are not sports cars and should not be driven as
>one.
>
>Otherwise....Extremely Dangerous offroad?  Are u nuts.. While there
>is a danger is is very small for the avg. offroaders and the danger
>is to the driver who chose to take the risk not bystanders.

I don't know of any argument I've ever mustered against offroaders
endangering themselves offroad.  I'm not sure all offroaders are
informed about the dangers, and as a consumer of insurance I'd like to
see actuaries charge them rates which reflect real dangers, but
whatever.

The main problem, obviously, is that, by and large, the vehicles are
not used for offroading but for driving on city streets and other
streets with regular vehicles, and pose an unnecessary risk to other
drivers.  In effect drivers who choose to drive larger SUVs on regular
roads when they don't have real reason for doing so are saying
(knowingly or otherwise) "up yours" to the massive percentage increase
in danger to occupants of other cars while, depending on whom you ask,
they may be slightly improving the safety, or the perception of
safety, of their own occupants.

Drive all you want offroad, endanger your life, use all the gas you
want.  That's not the main thrust of the safety argument against SUVs.
You're not addressing the main safety issue here.

A recent book has brought these points out.  Here is part of a review
that deals more specifically with the danger to other drivers issue,
than with the personal endangermenet from rollover or claimed offroad
use:

http://www.evworld.com/databases/printit.cfm?storyid=448

MM