now we are getting waaay off topic... but I just can't help myself...

the armour used in tanks etc. to defeat projectile weapons... I would have
thought that it would be a multi-layered composite - like extra heavy duty
kevlar... with layers including MMC (metal matrix composites)... there are
plenty of materials with both toughness and strength and high temperature
properties that are cheap enough for an advaned army... Tantalum wire wrapped
ceramic composites for instance would have excellent toughness and
strength... and resist temoperatures in excess of 2000 oC

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures

FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/FGYolB/TM