Hakan Falk wrote:

> I do not understand why you think that parliamentary democracy
> has anything to do with mob rule. I have never heard such a stupid
> definition of democracy and never experienced it either. I have to
> ask you what the opposite alternative is?

"It is the besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion
for law. This is the usual form in which the masses of men exhibit their
tyranny." -James Fenimore Cooper

"Fifty-one percent of a nation can establish a totalitarian regime,
suppress minorities and still remain democratic."
                - Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn

Hakan, I normally respect what you have to say around this parts, but I
think you are overreacting to Kirk's cynical definition of democracy.
Respect for the rule of law is required to temper pure democracy for
otherwise it is doomed to decay into a tyranny of the majority.

I don't want to speak for Kirk, but I imagine his point was that
democracy must be tempered by law. Presumably, you automatically assume
such contraints when you use the phrase parliamentary democracy.
However, I think Kirk's point remains that a pure unconstrained
democracy is a very dangerous thing.

John

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/AG3JAA/FGYolB/TM