I have seen it said that a source of geothermal energy is from "original"
planet-forming energy which hasn't yet cooled, and in gravitational decay which
hasn't yet taken place.  I'm not sure how much I buy this, but ok.  I think
other, additional, possible sources for this are in the nuclear decay of
materials internal to the Earth and in the tug-and-pull of the Earth planet
system with other gravitational forces.  For that matter I suppose cosmic rays
and such could contribute some energy, as well as the Sun slowing down any
internal cooling that might occurr, in the sun's electro-magnetic forces perhaps
also affecting Earth's stored energy and balance.  There are interesting areas
for study or reflection here.

As to the rate of cooling off, this will be perhaps accelerated if we harvest
geothermal energy at an increasing rate.  I don't worry about it in the sense
you indicate, but there are environmental consequences worth considering to
harvesting geothermal energy.  For example there has been reported increased
seismic activity in a large well-established California Geothermal Development
related directly to increased pumping of water down into the earth to increase
how much energy is harvested.  As you are into following California energy and
politics, I will close by mentioning that Geothermal is usually listed on my
bills as maybe the biggest renewable source in my "mix", outside of large hydro.
Bigger than wind, bigger than solar, bigger than wave, even though all three of
the latter are arguably grossly under-harvested here in California (particularly
solar).  I haven't looked at it in awhile, but I think it's usually claimed to
provide me with something like 3% of my power?

MM

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:22:24 +0200, you wrote:

>Actually, the geothermal energy does not come from the sun, it is
>more from being a sun. The Magna (I think I got it right), is a part of the
>Earth that have not yet cooled off and when it does, it is at such a long
>term that the self destructive humanity, with all probabilities, must have
>successfully managed to commit suicide anyway. Do not worry about
>this yet, it is enough to worry about the next coming 1.000 years.
>
>Hakan
>
>At 06:31 AM 6/25/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>>I can think of at least two other sources:
>>
>>1.  Nuclear Energy Generated on Earth.
>>2.  Tidal Energy (derived from the Earth-Moon gravitational pull).  I'm not
>>certain how the Sun may influence the stability of the Earth-Moon pull, so
>>it's
>>possible this is somewhat solar.  I am skeptical of the environmental
>>benign-ness of Tidal energy, if harvested planet-wide for many decades or
>>centuries, I question whether it would harm the stability of the
>>Earth-Moon pull
>>and distance.
>>
>>Additionally, there is geothermal energy.  It is not clear to me if this
>>is from
>>internal Earth G-forces, nuclear decay, or what.  Yes, it could
>>additionally be
>>influenced by solar g-forces or I-don't-know-what, but I haven't heard the
>>source of geothermal sufficiently clarified.
>>
>>All that said, I agree entirely with your pointing out the primacy of the
>>Sun as
>>a source of energy for just about everything we do.
>>
>>MM
>>

>> >Remember, there is only one energy source available to this planet. All
>> of our attempts to find other sources like oil and gas ended up being
>> created by the same source; "THE SUN"!!
>> >
>> >Keep in mind that the more direct method we use to take this little
>> energy bit as it is delivered to us by the sun and get it into a usable
>> form for us to use will ultimately be the most environmentally benign way
>> to use it.
>

>Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
>
>Biofuels list archives:
>http://archive.nnytech.net/
>
>Please do NOT send Unsubscribe messages to the list address.
>To unsubscribe, send an email to:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

$50 - $100 gift card with digital cameras & camcorders $299 & up
Now you can have the digital camera or camcorder of your dreams, and a gift
card to put towards a future purchase. Excludes select models.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/bHgiAD/FjRGAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM