  From: Gustl Steiner-Zehender
  To: Quinn
  Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 3:52 PM
  Subject: Re[2]: [biofuel] Gas Prices Causing Alarm

  Hallo Quinn,

  Monday, 01 September, 2003, 21:23:14, you wrote:

  Q> Greg,

  Q> You're kidding right??

  Q> You fail to see how someone couldn't go out and drop $7000 on a vehicle
if
  Q> they wanted to?  In my 40+ years I have never spent more than $3500 on
  Q> vehicle-- and only because that was all I could ever afford.  While
that
  Q> $7000 may be 'cheap' compared to new car prices, think of all the
people all
  Q> over the country who ride busses.  You don't think they all prefer to
ride
  Q> the bus, do you?  (And certainly they aren't all environmentalists or
you
  Q> wouldn't see them tossing their Wendy's wrappers on the grass at the
bus
  Q> stop as they board.)

  I  know  what  you  mean here as I'm a disabled vet on a fixed income.
  The most I ever paid was $900 and I thought that was pushing it.

  Q> We should try to remember here that we are a privileged few with ready
  Q> access to computers, to the Internet, and with, it seems, a great deal
of
  Q> education between us and a great amount of personal time for discourse.
It
  Q> also seems that there are quite a few with disposable income, which
they are
  Q> admirably using towards greener goals.

  Q> While there are a lot of arrogant conspicuous consumers in this country
(as
  Q> has been noted) there are also vast scores of people for whom any
portion of
  Q> the above luxuries are inaccessible.  Not everyone in this country can
even
  Q> afford to go out and spend the time and money to make a $1500-$3000
  Q> biodiesel setup, with the necessary time hunting for scrap goods, and
  Q> tinkering and brazing.  And not everyone even has a backyard to do it
in.

  Q> If we are going to open people's eyes to alternative methods --even
  Q> alternative methods that will be cheaper for them in the long run, such
as
  Q> the discussion on the solar arrays-- we should try to do it without
being
  Q> arrogant ourselves.

  Q> Quinn

  I  would not be too hard on Quinn (not that you were). I guess I would
  not be too hard on anyone. There are a lot of people out there who are
  unaware  of  the economic plight of many of the folks in this country.
  We  have  a  lot  of poor here. Not so much abject poor as I have seen
  overseas,  but poor nonetheless. They are not whining either. Too busy
  trying to live. The ones who whine are the ones with money.

  I  have  a  friend  in Germany who absolutely hates Americans with the
  exception  of  me  and a couple of others he knows.  He hates our food
  and  our  attitude  and our way of living.  Lived here a few years and
  then went back home.  While he was here he drove a semi truck and back
  home  while talking with some friends he surprised himself by being in
  the  position of defending the low gas prices here.  His reasoning was
  that  the  sheer  size  of  the  country  combined  with  the relative
  emptiness  outside  population  areas  dictates a need for inexpensive
  petroleum  as  mass  transit  is  all but impossible outside the large
  urban areas.

  I live out here in the boonies near a little one horse farm town.  The
  nearest  real  job  center  is  a half an hour drive away and that job
  market  is  mostly open for McJobs anyhow.  Using my son as an example
  of  what we face.  His round trip to work was 70 miles per day and the
  best  job  which  he could find actually was working part time for the
  McDonalds.  There is absolutely no dependable mass transit around here
  unless  you  cound the "dial-a-ride" which comes into town twice a day
  and  unless you can find a really good paying job with hours from 11am
  to 1.30pm you are s.o.l. (out of luck).

  We  are 5 people living in this house of whom 4 drive and 3 have jobs.
  My  daughter  works  from  midnight  until 8am 25 minutes north of our
  place. My wife, up at 4am, drives school bus and makes a 34 mile round
  trip twice a day. My son, who found a halfway decent job now, is up at
  5.30am  and  also has a 34 mile drive to the shop but then also has to
  drive to the job site which may be as far as 70 miles from the shop on
  any  given  day.   None  of these jobs pays well but they do provide a
  tolerable living since we are all living together, but it requires the
  use of 3 vehicles.  Again, no mass transit is possible out here on the
  land.

  There  are a lot of folks falling through the cracks outside the urban
  centers  and the urban centers are few and far between.  The last time
  I  was  in  Europe  I  had  the thought that Germany was one big urban
  center.   I never drove for 20 minutes without hitting a town.  In the
  matter  of  a few short hours one can travel north to south or east to
  west and hit the border of another country there.  Here in Michigan it
  takes  13  hours  to drive from where I am which is 3.5 miles north of
  Ohio  to hit the town of Rockland in the Upper Peninsula and you still
  have  to  go  some  to  hit  Lake  Superior  or  to go as far north as
  possible.   It takes more than 24 hours to drive from Texarkana, Texas
  to  El  Paso, Texas.  "The sun has riz and the sun has set and here we
  is in Texas yet."

  For  some  reason we generally seem to view each other through our own
  set  of  circumstances.  We  are  all  ignorant in our own way and our
  situations  are  not  always the same.  Greg thinks that $7,000 is not
  only  a  reasonable  but inexpensive amount to pay for a vehicle while
  Quinn  halves  that.  I figure I got my money's worth given what I was
  buying  for $900 but I know LOTS of people who cannot afford a vehicle
  at  all  or  could afford a vehicle but not insurance.  Folks in urban
  areas  or  heavily  populated smaller countries don't see why everyone
  doesn't  go to mass transit and bicycles and people living out where I
  live  wonder  why  others  piss  and moan about all the cars there are
  since "everyone" knows that without a car you cannot work.

  This  may  seem unrelated but it is how I think.  I define religion as
  that which draws people together and creed as that which pushes people
  apart.  What most people call religion is really creed.  What seems to
  me  to  be  going on, not only on this list but in life in general, is
  that  we  are wasting our time on creed while the religion slips away.
  We  all  seem  to want to head to the same place but are worried about
  the  route  each  other  is taking.  We don't seem to realize that the
  same suit of clothes does not fit everyone.

  What  works  in  Sweden may not work in Indonesia or Canada or the US.
  What  works  in New York city won't work in Morenci, Michigan and what
  works  in  Morenci won't work farther out in the county.  Some but not
  all  things  must  be  present  to  work,  but  the variables which we
  encounter  given  the  environment  we  are  in  makes  all situations
  different with only some similarities.

  As  we all seem to have similar desires when it comes to biodiesel and
  the  environment,  that  is  to  say we all seem to want to live in an
  environmentally  friendly  and responsible manner and wish everyone to
  adopt our way of thinking it seems to me that we ought to focus on the
  areas  on which we agree and then work together to implement our goals
  while  recognizing  the  different  situations  others  may  be in and
  adjusting  our methods to fit the circumstances rather than attempting
  to impose one size on all.

  We really need to recognize that the enemy is government and those who
  have  and  control  the  wealth.  We need to recognize that this is an
  international phenomenon and is not restricted to the United States or
  to developed nations.  Every country, no matter how underdeveloped and
  poor  has  a  government and a monied class and they work hand-in-hand
  with each other and with the governments and monied classes of all the
  other  countries  of  the world.  For government and the wealthy it is
  all about "the bottom line."  It is profit before people.

  If  the  goal is to change regimes or elect "liberal" or "progressive"
  people  or  parties  then we may as well go piss up a rope because the
  effect  will be the same.  Left, right or center we are still choosing
  between  Tweedle-dee  and  Tweedle-dum.    Government  and  money  are
  inextricably  entwined and in the end all the hogs still feed from the
  same  trough.   The more deeply we become involved in politics and the
  mechanics of political change the further we stray from the goal.  Our
  energy and attention is diverted as is our action.  We get sucked into
  their game and play by their rules all the while thinking we are doing
  something worthwhile and lasting.

  Our  goal,  final destination, reason we are all here on this list is,
  as  I  see  it,  that  we  want  a  world  which  is clean, wholesome,
  sustainable  and  will remain so for us and our children and so on. We
  want  clean  air,  clean  water, a balanced system. And this brings me
  back  to  religion  and  creed.  Creed  requires blind adherence to an
  imposed  set  of  propositions  which  may  or  may not be true and is
  controlled  by  those  few  holding power over the many and that it be
  defended  as the only true and right belief system against all comers.
  Creed  is  static  and  dead,  hostile  and  confrontational. Religion
  requires that the individual come to know all he is capable of knowing
  and  that  he  not  only  share what he has with others but learn from
  those   with  greater  wisdom.  Religion  require  finding  points  of
  agreement  and building from there. Religion requires that we love one
  another  but  further, that we display that love by social service and
  action  as  we  are  able.  Personal example and personal interaction.
  Alive and growing and learning.

  It  seems  to  me  that that is not a bad paradigm to follow no matter
  what  we  are trying to do.  When people see what you are and what you
  do  and  the  benefits  which  are resultant they will want those good
  benefits and will slowly change.  Attitudes and behavior will and does
  change due to personal example.  People are teachable but they have to
  have  a  reason  to want to learn.  Self interest works as a beginning
  but  that  changes  with time as people begin to feel part of a larger
  community,  family.   Co-operation  sets  in,  perhaps  initially  for
  personal benefit but eventually because it is found to work.

  For  the  record.  I  don't  believe either of you folks said anything
  "wrong".  I  just  find  it  interesting  about the misconceptions and
  misunderstandings  which occur among like minded people because of the
  assumptions  one  makes,  the  understandable  ignorance  of  anothers
  circumstances and the nearly unfailing habit we have of not looking at
  something  with  anothers  point  of  view  but from our own either/or
  standpoint.

  Again, sorry to be so windy.  Now and then I just get a wild hair.

  Happy Happy,

  Gustl
  --
  Je mehr wir haben, desto mehr fordert Gott von uns.
  Mitglied-Team AMIGA

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM